Lukas has started playing with Linux when he was 13 years old and has been free and open source culture enthusiast ever since he realized what freedom it brings. His interest in censorship and autocratic regimes led him to choose Chinese studies as his university major, rather than computer science. He managed to combine these two interests in Shanghai, where he works as Linux sysadmin, while watching the world's most sophisticated internet control system from the first row.
This workshop will lead the participants through deploying their own personal "internet gateway" using theStreisand project. As the project uses Ansible to deploy the server, basic introduction into Ansible will be given. A VPS (virtual private server) abroad is necessary for the deployment; attendants will be led to choose a provider that suits them the best, and then deploy the server on the spot. All components that Streisand installs on the server will then be described, pros and cons of different protocols that can be used to connect to the server will be weighted, and we will configure our devices to connect to the gateway.
After the workshop, the participants will have:
* their own gateway deployed on a DigitalOcean server, free of charge for two months (promo code will be provided; credit card registration still necessary),
* basic knowledge of the Ansible orchestration tool,
* ability to deploy a Streisand server and overview of what it installs and why,
* knowledge about different encrypted protocols for private networking,
* knowledge about what international locations have fast connection to China.
1. Introduction of the Streisand project
2. Short introduction into Ansible
3. Comparison of virtual servers providers and locations
4. Every participant obtains a virtual server
5. Deploying Streisand on everyone's new server
6. Description of available protocols
7. Connecting our devices
8. Tweak it: adding accounts, ...
This workshop can help you:
Get better international internet connection in China, uninterrupted by crackdowns.
Access the internet privately and anonymously.
Get basic knowledge about Linux servers administration and Ansible.
Meet fellow privacy enthusiasts.
What to bring:
Linux or Mac computer, or Windows with a Linux VM, or at least Putty SSH client.
International credit card (to get a free server on DigitalOcean) or a Bitcoin wallet (to get a server onchunkhost.com).
If you have any questions, you can contact the workshop organizer. WeChat/Telegram: hydrandt, firstname.lastname@example.org
- 100 RMB for XinCheJian members
- 150 RMB for XinCheJian non-members
- 50 RMB to support XinCheJian
Choose whichever you you want, all
money is donated to XinCheJian to cover the hackerspace running
Please sign up in advance to reserve a spot. Attendees who show up without sign up or informing the host may not have a place to sit! Space is limited, so we will be accepting sign ups on a first-come, first-served basis. Thanks for understanding.